- Job Title: Communications Manager
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract: Permanent
Location: London, Bristol or Sheffield offices with occasional working from home. Some travel to other two offices on occasions.
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £40,000 – £43,000 per annum (plus £3,500 per annum London Living Allowance for London based roles).
Reporting to: Head of Communications
Direct reports: Digital Marketing Officer, Event Officer
Power to Change is the small independent charitable trust that supports community businesses in England, endowed by the National Lottery Community Fund. Our vision is better places through community business. We want to back people to build successful community businesses for the benefit of their local places.
An exciting opportunity has come up to join our Communications and Partnerships team as a Communications Manager. We are a busy and friendly team, on a mission to grow the community business movement in England. This is an ideal opportunity for a rising communications professional to build on their experience and make their mark on a great cause.
You will be working closely with other like-minded passionate professionals in our organisation to build the profile of a movement that will change the face of the country.
Deadline for applications: 10am on Monday 25th March, 2019
Email a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all candidates irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status. We will assess all applications against the requirements for this post as detailed in the job description and person specification and ask for names and education history to be removed from applications.
We are Disability Confident Committed, we welcome and respond positively to applications from disabled people. We will meet individual needs throughout the recruitment process, including making any appropriate reasonable adjustments during the interview stage and to our workplace if selected into post to support colleagues with any form of disability. If you meet the minimum requirements for the role and would like a guaranteed interview please email firstname.lastname@example.org, you do not need to share any details about your disability at this stage.
As a Mindful Employer we recognise that in the UK, people experiencing mental ill health continue to report stigma and discrimination. We are committed to creating a supportive and open culture, where colleagues are able to talk about mental health. We are also committed to ensuring that our employees feel safe in disclosing any mental health conditions and confident that they will be properly supported and offered reasonable adjustments when required.
If you have any questions about how Power to Change is an equal opportunities employer please contact our Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, Edward on email@example.com
The main purpose of the role is to support the Communications and Partnerships team to plan and implement communications plans to promote Power to Change’s funding and support programmes, research and market development insight, and events to relevant audiences including the community business sector, government, and sector organisations. The role also involves telling Power to Change’s impact story to make the case for community business to create better places.
You will be reporting to the Head of Communications and will also work closely with the Media Relations Manager and Director of Communications and Partnerships, as well as the rest of the Power to Change team.
- Plan and implement communication plans so that our funding and support programmes, market development and research activities are publicised to generate a quality pipeline of applicants and generally build the movement for community businesses. This is often in collaboration with our grant delivery partners.
- Manage internal communications to share learning and foster collaboration across Power to Change
- Source compelling human stories from amongst our grantees and advocates that bring our mission to life, creating compelling and inspiring content, including videos, case studies and blog posts
- Develop the Power to Change brand across collateral and make sure stakeholders meet brand guidelines
- Ensure all our communications are inclusive and accessible
- Develop and oversee a pro-active social media strategy (including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) to widen our reach
- Project manage national inspiration campaigns such as Community Business Weekend, our national annual open doors campaign
- Review and sign off e-newsletters and ensure a high standard of quality content to generate engagement
- Manage the content and updates to our website, including project managing website development
- Manage external agencies
- Develop relationships with sector partners to have joined up approach to communications
This job description is issued as a guideline to assist you in your duties, it is not exhaustive. Because of the evolving nature and changing demands of our work this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description.
Essential skills & experience:
- You’re passionate and creative with bundles of positive energy and a desire to be an integral part of the dynamic team that is making community business famous in England.
- You have a proven track record of planning and implementing integrated communications campaigns and evaluating them
- Digitally savvy, you bring a wealth of marketing and comms tools to tackle communications challenges
- You have an excellent eye for detail and are a proud brand guardian and quality controller
- You get to the crux of communications issues quickly and are solution focused, even in the face of ambiguity
- You are a natural storyteller, able to turn complex information into accessible and memorable content
- You are confident and comfortable working with multiple stakeholders and have excellent interpersonal skills
- You have strong project management skills and are able to prioritise your time effectively
- You have strong analytical skills and know how to manage a budget
- A working knowledge of CRM and CMS
- Graphic design skills
- Understanding of Google Analytics