Big Society Capital is the UK’s leading social impact investor and the Assistant Legal Counsel would suit a junior transactional lawyer looking to make their first move in-house. It will be an interesting and varied role with the ability to become involved and play an essential role in transactions at the forefront of social impact investing as well as supporting the growth and success of Big Society Capital as an organisation.
Big Society Capital exists to improve the lives of people in the UK through investment with a sustainable return and are the leading social impact-led investor, restless for change. Working with expert partners, we seek to understand people’s needs first. Then, using our knowledge and capital, we collaborate and invest with fund managers who also want to create a better, sustainable future.
People are at the heart of what we do and play a vital role in safeguarding our culture and mission. To effect change and ensure our reputation as a trusted partner and leader in social impact investing, we encourage diversity of thought and ideas, provide a healthy work environment that promotes respect and teamwork and give you the tools and resources to achieve your full potential.
Big Society Capital core values are:
- Purposeful –We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
- Pioneering Spirit – We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and a restless drive for change.
- Openness – We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
- Rigorous – We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence.
- Respectful – We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
The role will give the successful candidate broad exposure to all areas of BSC’s work although the candidate will spend the majority of their time between supporting the investment team and working on internal corporate/commercial and regulatory matters alongside colleagues in the Legal & Compliance team.
- Support the Investment Group with term sheet discussions and identifying and addressing initial legal issues in respect of a proposed investment.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal team, assist with the negotiation of legal documentation, representing BSC and working with co-investors, and assist with the completion process for BSC’s investments.
- Participate in the management of investments over their lifetime, including any amendments to legal documentation and any waivers that may be required.
- Participate in the process to restructure or exit investments.
- Support colleagues in the legal team with instructing and working with external counsel.
- Maintain a knowledge of BSC’s legal obligations relating to the investments and make sure BSC has all necessary legal documentation in place and properly stored.
Corporate legal and regulatory work
- Support colleagues across the office with legal and regulatory queries
- Support colleagues in the legal team with reviewing new legislation and implementing consequential changes to BSC’s processes and policies.
- Support client investment initiatives, including through investments and the design and implementation of policies and processes.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal team, draft and negotiate research contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts.
- Work with colleagues in the legal team to build and share know-how and best practice across Big Society Capital and its portfolio companies, including training and templates.
- Alongside colleagues in the legal team, maintain a knowledge of BSC’s legal obligations and make sure BSC has all necessary documentation in place and properly stored.
- Any other duties as may be required from time to time by Head of Legal.