- Job Title: Director of Fund Operations
- Location: London
- Reporting To: CFO
- Salary: £70,000 - £80,000 per annum
- Contract: Permanent
- Date Closes: Tue 24 Jan 2023
Job Title: Director of Fund Operations
Location: Hybrid/London, EC4A and Homeworking
Reporting To: CFO
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £70,000 – £80,000
Date Closes: Tuesday, 24th January 2023 at 5pm
Big Society Capital is the UK’s leading social impact investor and the Director of Fund Operations sits at the heart of delivering one of our most important initiatives – the Schroders/Big Society Capital Social Impact Trust (SBSI). This is a world-leading listed investment trust enabling a wider range of investors to put their money to work to achieve positive social impact across the UK. The successful candidate will have responsibility for co-ordinating and executing vital operations for the Trust including reporting, risk management and core policies, sitting at the heart of an energetic and committed team.
Big Society Capital exists to improve the lives of people in the UK through investment with a sustainable return and are the leading social impact-led investor, restless for change. Working with expert partners, we seek to understand people’s needs first. Then, using our knowledge and capital, we collaborate and invest with fund managers who also want to create a better, sustainable future.
People are at the heart of what we do and play a vital role in safeguarding our culture and mission. To effect change and ensure our reputation as a trusted partner and leader in social impact investing, we encourage diversity of thought and ideas, provide a healthy work environment that promotes respect and teamwork and give you the tools and resources to achieve your full potential.
Big Society Capital core values are:
Purposeful –We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
Pioneering Spirit – We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and a restless drive for change.
Openness – We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
Rigorous – We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence.
Respectful – We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
Ownership of key SBSI deliverables
- Lead overall delivery and management for financial reporting, portfolio analysis, risk, valuation and tax aspects of SBSI annual report, interim report and quarterly reporting cycles and any other complex deliverables (e.g. fund raise processes, KID , Factsheets and operational due diligence (ODD) reviews), working in conjunction with Investment and Finance team leads.
- Creating and managing timetables
- Co-ordinating all BSC and external parties to deliver objectives
- Lead BSC contact with SBSI Auditors for year-end cycle
- Problem solving
- Working with SBSI Board and key Schroders stakeholders
- Point of contact for the Board (in particular re Year-end and Valuation exercises)
- Manage process, timetable and execution for key deliverables
- Manage interface with Schroders Pricing Committee/ Valuation Committee and co-ordinate Valuation submissions to that body in conjunction with the BSC Finance team.
- Point of contact for Schroders and Depositary for any SBSI related matters.
- Manage SBSI Risk Framework and relationship with Schroders Risk team, including stress testing cycle and key risk indicators – while individual risks sit with people across the team, this role holds overall co-ordination and ownership
- Supporting BSC CFO on reporting to BSC ARCC on controls and risk frameworks around SBSI, and potentially BSC risk framework
Process and Policies
- Joint ownership of key SBSI Policies with Investment/Product leads (incl Order Execution, TCF, Product Governance)
- Resolving any challenges or changes needed to processes we have developed around finance and operations
- Ownership of SBSI Process Manual and periodic review/updates
- Ensure proper functioning of BSC role as Portfolio manager under the terms of the Portfolio Management Agreement with Schroders.
Skills and Experience
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Good at building relationships and working with multiple stakeholders
- Collaborative and co-operative with a hands-on approach to pro-actively solving problems with others
- Manage multiple stakeholders and deadlines
- Excellent project management and analytical abilities and highly organised approach to complex initiatives
- Excellent communicator, both when presenting and writing
- Experience of operational leadership and delivery in a financial services firm
- Middle office experience in a financial services firm
- Experience of co-ordinating complex initiatives across multiple teams in financial services
- Skilled at working closely with investment and finance professionals
- Familiar with risk management practice in financial services
- Track record of interfacing and influencing senior executives and external stakeholders
- Qualified accountant with experience of Fund Finance/Private Assets and associated tax aspects (Desirable)
- Experience of different approaches to valuing private unlisted assets (Desirable)
- Experience of working with a UK listed investment trust, ideally involving private assets (Desirable)