Location: London EC4A (currently remote)
Reporting to: Head of Legal
Contract: Interim, 6 month FTC
Salary: c.£70,000 (depending on experience)
Big Society Capital is seeking a talented Senior Legal Counsel (Interim) to help achieve their social impact investment goals by providing legal advice in relation to investments as well as corporate, governance and regulatory matters.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is passionate about Big Society Capital’s mission to improve lives across the UK and who can bring enthusiasm and commitment to the role they will play in delivering that mission.
You will be a key member of Big Society Capital’s Legal and Compliance team. The role will suit a commercially aware, qualified solicitor who is passionate about using their legal project management skills to change lives in communities across the UK.
You will be responsible for:
- Participate in the due diligence process to ensure legal issues around structure of investment are addressed
- Support the Investment Group with term sheet discussions and identifying and addressing initial legal issues in respect of a proposed investment
- Lead the negotiation of the legal documentation representing Big Society Capital and work with co- investors, including client investment products, and external counsel, and assist with the completion process for investments
- Maintain a knowledge of Big Society Capital’s legal obligations relating to the investments and make sure Big Society Capital has all necessary legal investment documentation in place and properly stored
- Play a key role in the management of investments over their lifetime, including any amendments to legal documentation and any waivers that may be required
- Participate in the investment monitoring process with regard to any legal issues that arise
- Support the process to restructure or exit investments
Corporate Governance and Regulatory
- Support colleagues across the office with legal and regulatory queries
- Support client investment initiatives, including through investments and the design and implementation of policies and processes
- Review legislation and support the implementation of consequential changes
- Draft and negotiate research contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to build and share know-how and best practice across Big Society Capital and its portfolio companies, including training and templates.
- Work with the rest of the legal and compliance team in supporting each other in additional ad hoc activities when required
- Manage relationships, including costs, with external counsel
Legal and Compliance Team
- Play a proactive part in helping with the continuous improvement of the team as a key component of Big Society Capital’s investment activity and as a leading impact legal team.
Skills and Experience
- Solicitor qualified in England and Wales
- Legal related project management
- Knowledge and experience of transactional finance
- Knowledge and experience of private and/or public market investment funds
- Knowledge and experience of commercial contracts and financial services regulation
- Knowledge and experience of data protection
- Engagement with the third sector in some capacity (e.g., trustee of a charity)
Skills, abilities & attributes:
- A confident, effective communicator who is approachable and flexible
- Systematic approach to work with high attention to detail
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Approachable and collaborative team player, also able to work self-sufficiently
- Flexible and willing to take on different tasks as required
- Enthusiastic and proactive with the confidence to influence at all levels
- Resilient and can cope with ambiguity and change
- Well organised and able to prioritise
- Good at finding innovative solutions to problems, grounded in the delivery of business outcomes
- Ability to identify risk with sound commercial awareness
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth
Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential.
All Big Society Capital staff are currently working from home. We will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 priorities and challenges which you may be facing.