Location: London, EC4A and flexible working
Reporting to: Head of Legal
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £70,000 - £75,000
Date closes:Tuesday, 24th January 2023 at 5pm
Big Society Capital is the UK’s leading social impact investor and the Senior Legal Counsel will be a key member of Big Society Capital’s Legal & Compliance team to help support the organisation’s social impact investment goals. In particular, you will provide legal advice in relation to investments and corporate, governance and regulatory matters.
Big Society Capital exists to improve the lives of people in the UK through investment with a sustainable return and are the leading social impact-led investor, restless for change. Working with expert partners, we seek to understand people’s needs first. Then, using our knowledge and capital, we collaborate and invest with fund managers who also want to create a better, sustainable future.
People are at the heart of what we do and play a vital role in safeguarding our culture and mission. To effect change and ensure our reputation as a trusted partner and leader in social impact investing, we encourage diversity of thought and ideas, provide a healthy work environment that promotes respect and teamwork and give you the tools and resources to achieve your full potential.
Big Society Capital core values are:
- Purposeful –We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
- Pioneering Spirit – We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and a restless drive for change
- Openness – We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
- Rigorous – We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence
- Respectful – We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
- Participate in the due diligence process to ensure legal and regulatory issues around the structure of investments are understood and addressed
- Support the Investment Group with term sheet discussions
- Lead the negotiation of legal documentation, work with different team members across Big Society Capital, co-investors and external counsel, and assist with the completion process for investments
- Maintain a knowledge of Big Society Capital’s legal and regulatory obligations relating to its investments and make sure Big Society Capital has all necessary legal investment documentation in place and properly stored
- Participate in the management of investments over their lifetime, including any amendments or waivers
- Ongoing support for the investment monitoring process with regard to any legal issues that arise
- Advise on the process to restructure or exit investments
Corporate Governance and Regulatory
- Support colleagues across the office with legal and regulatory queries
- Support client investment initiatives, including in relation to the firm’s role as portfolio manager for the groundbreaking listed investment trust, Schroders BSC Social Impact Trust plc
- Review legislation and support the implementation of consequential policies, procedures and training
- Draft and negotiate research contracts, non-disclosure agreements and other commercial contracts
- Work with colleagues in the legal and compliance team to build and share know-how and best practice across Big Society Capital and its portfolio companies, including training and templates
- Work with the rest of the Legal & Compliance team in supporting each other in additional ad hoc activities
- Manage the relationships, including costs, with external counsel
Legal & Compliance Team
- Play a proactive part in helping with the continuous improvement of the team as a key component of Big Society Capital’s investment activity and as a leading impact legal team.
Skills and Experience
- Solicitor qualified in England and Wales
- Legal related project management
- Knowledge and experience of transactional finance
- Knowledge and experience of private and/or public market investment funds
- Knowledge and experience of financial services regulation
- Knowledge and experience of data protection
- Engagement with the third sector in some capacity (e.g., trustee of a charity)
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Confident, effective communicator who is approachable and flexible
- Can deal effectively with senior management
- Systematic approach to work with high attention to detail
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Approachable and strong team player but able to work self-sufficiently
- Flexible and willing to take on different tasks as required
- Enthusiastic and proactive with the confidence to influence at all levels
- Resilient and can cope with ambiguity and change
- Well organised and able to prioritise
- Good at finding innovative solutions to problems
- Ability to identify risk with sound commercial awareness
- Commitment to continuous learning and development