Location: Dalston, London, with flexible/home working
Reporting to: CEO
Contract: Permanent, full-time (part-time considered)
This is an exceptional opportunity to play a key role in a growing and dynamic organisation with big ambitions to revolutionise finance to make it more inclusive for everyone.
As an important member of the Senior Management Team you will support internal and operational process improvements in the business to improve efficiency, design and develop various technology led and digital projects to improve our service and oversee the business infrastructure (IT and Facilities) to ensure it is fit for growth.
The role will require a strong understanding of IT and CRM systems, people management, business processes, risk management and operational planning. Much of the growth will be led by the product teams through our online platforms, so a good understanding of technology around payment and lending systems would be an advantage.
Fair Finance is a social business that designs and delivers financial services that improve the financial wellbeing of our customers. Our vision is to scale a fairer alternative to high cost lenders and help reduce financial exclusion across the UK. Over the last 17 years we have helped over 100,000 people avoid money lenders and high cost credit providers by offering a more affordable and responsible business, created and grown hundreds of businesses by financing local entrepreneurs, and saved tens of thousands of people from eviction by providing timely debt advice.
Fair Finance is at a key moment in its growth as it transitions from a branch-based business to a digital-led social business. The transition will allow us to significantly grow and expand our ability to meet our vision of tackling high-cost credit nationally, but it comes with significant operational challenges. We are looking for a brilliant and dynamic Operations Manager to joins us as we manage this transition.
Operations Management (50%)
- Work closely with stakeholders across the business to identify system and operational process needs, helping to identifying users and client “pain points”.
- Project manage system upgrades, enhancements and replacements and where appropriate lead on training to ensure they are used appropriately.
- Work collaboratively with business leads to improve internal processes to drive efficiency across the organisation.
Technology Management (40%)
- Plan, scope and manage the implementation of technology enhancements that range in size, cost and impact.
- Manage contracts and relationships with key external IT suppliers and system vendors.
- Monitor IT budget and spending and work with the Finance team to forecast and oversee departmental annual budget.
- With the senior managers develop an IT strategy for the business.
- Line management of Technical Lead and, where required, project staff – including prioritisation of workload, performance monitoring and support.
- Work with the Technical Lead to provide front line support for staff members on IT issues and support escalation with our suppliers where needed
Facilities management (10%)
- Work closely with the senior management team to offer the best office environment for our staff.
- Liaise with landlord and suppliers and manage leases and services.
- Keep up to date with Health & Safety and building/office regulations and maintain all necessary records
- Deliver Health & Safety assessments with the support of external agencies.
Skills and Experience
To be a successful Operations Manager you will be committed to Fair Finance’s vision to revolutionise finance to make it more inclusive for everyone.
You will want to take the leap to develop and further your career in a growing and dynamic social business. You will be the ultimate multitasker; able to switch between the details of everyday problem solving and bigger picture strategic thinking and planning.
You may be a management or business consultant wanting to make the jump to a social business or an IT manager with strong project management skills. You are excited by new ideas but also have the rigour to see things through and implement your ideas. You will have a mix of business and technology skills and will be excited to use these to drive positive social outcomes within a social business.
Desired skills and experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading and/or delivering technology or business change projects (either in-house or as consultant)
- Commercially focused, understanding the balance between meeting client expectations and delivering within agreed budgets and timescales.
- Excellent communicator and motivator, able to get the best out of teams through skilful interaction and proactive team building around the goals of each project.
- You have good problem-solving skills and are able to manage risks and issues, proactively and creatively, to ensure project delivery is not compromised.
- You are a team player and will be committed to building and developing Fair Finance’s initiatives
- Ideally, you have experience of working in a start-up, SME and/or financial services environment.
- Ideally, you have technical competences and past experience of first line technology support.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com. Your Cover Letter should outline why you want to work for Fair Finance, and how your experience and skills meet the criteria highlighted in the above Job Description.