Location: London & remote
Reporting to: Investment Director
Contract: Full time permanent
This is a brilliant opportunity to join a dynamic team with a mission of transforming the provision of financial services for people in vulnerable circumstances. We are looking for an exceptional candidate with good commercial acumen and direct investment experience. We are interested in hearing from candidates whose experience is from venture capital or the tech for good sector.
This investment manager role involves conducting due diligence and building a strong investment case for our future investments, supporting the successful launch of our Debt Fund, and managing a small portfolio of existing investments. The successful candidate will be as comfortable meeting with senior teams at mainstream banks as they are rolling up their sleeves to deliver on the day to day mechanics of investments. They will share our passion for improving people’s lives through the transformation of the financial services sector, will be enthusiastic, proactive and enjoy working collaboratively with a growing team.
At Fair4All Finance we are making direct investments (£25m+ to date) into community finance providers and social fintechs to support their growth and future sustainability, as a key part of our strategy to scale up the provision of affordable credit. In order to provide the quantum of capital needed for this scale up, we are developing an Affordable Credit Debt Fund, in partnership with mainstream finance providers and other investors.
In this role your focus will likely be split across some key areas of work:
Investment due diligence 40%
- Conduct due diligence on potential equity, debt and grant investments into affordable credit providers, and other investment opportunities as may arise – including establishing and maintaining excellent client relationships and making clear and evidenced recommendations to the investment committee
Supporting fund raising 25%
- Supporting the successful launch of a planned Affordable Credit Debt Fund, including supporting due diligence by potential funders
Portfolio management 25%
- Manage a small portfolio of existing equity, debt and grant investments – establishing and maintaining excellent, trusting client relationships, with regular monitoring of financial and social impact performance. This may include holding observer roles on investee boards
- Lead on strategically important investment projects and support other aspects of the investment workstream as needed
Skills and Experience
- Strong investment background with good commercial acumen, strong analytical skills and the ability to develop compelling investment propositions to take to our Board for approval. This experience may be from the private, social or public sector
- Direct experience of making and managing commercial investments into SMEs and/or impact investments into social enterprises
- Evidence of strong oral and written communication skills and self-assurance working alongside senior stakeholders
- Deal execution capability including evidence of negotiating investment terms and legal documents with investees and prospective funders
- Good understanding of the interventions and investments that are appropriate to support the scaling up of small lenders
- Experience of making impact investments into social enterprises
- Commercial fundraising experience
- Fund management experience
- Passion for our mission to increase the financial resilience of people in vulnerable circumstances
- Able to deal with complexity and uncertainty and work under your own initiative
- Be great at building relationships at all levels
- Enjoy innovative and experimental ways of team working; enjoys working in a small team
- Seek continued learning and development
Fair4All Finance is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the people and communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop and all team members can contribute to their fullest potential.