Reporting to: Senior Member of Investment Team
Contract: Permanent, full time - open to flexible working/job share
Date closes:Thursday, 21st October, 2021
We are seeking to appoint one or more exceptional Investment Director(s) who will specialise in financial modelling. This is an exciting time to join Big Society Capital as we have just launched our 2025 strategy, building upon what we have learnt since we started our impact investing journey in 2012.
It is a unique opportunity for investment specialists who want to revolutionise the way mainstream financial markets help deliver deep and lasting impact on people in the UK. Your work will contribute to solving some of the UK’s most entrenched social issues, so we are looking for someone who shares our passion to improve people’s lives in collaboration with the wider organisation and our external partners, and who is enthusiastic about designing and developing creative solutions.
The Investment Director will take responsibility for various BSC investment objectives, working with colleagues across the organisation.
The successful candidate will have lead responsibility across the organisation for the following :
- Own and develop BSC portfolio model(s), used to derive financial performance and liquidity projections
- Support team members in building, stress-testing and maintaining underlying fund models at the point of investment and during portfolio management
- Build BSC investment team’s overall financial analytical and modelling capabilities, through training and development of team members’ modelling skills
Managing prospective investments through our investment process:
- Supervise and undertake detailed investment analysis, including of the market, the prospective investee, and the financial, social impact and systems change cases
- Structure prospective investments
- Prepare and present investment recommendations to our Investment Committee, and take the lead on investment decision making
- Negotiate legal documents and close transactions
Supervising the management of our existing portfolio investments:
- Work with social investors to evaluate and manage their financial and social performance
- Lead on key fund manager relationships and help the long-term business development of social investors, with reference to our Building Blocks framework
- Proactively engage with investors and with charities and social enterprises to build and sustain a successful social investment market
- Work with other Investment Directors to help build a world class social impact investment team and approach at Big Society Capital, including supervising and line managing Investment Managers and other members of the team.
Skills and Experience
- A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving lives in the UK
- Experience in applying financial modelling techniques
- Experience of detailed analysis and decision making
- A strong background in analysis in either the private, social or public sector (e.g. strategy consulting, venture capital or investment banking)
- Proven relationship building and influencing skills
- Experience of managing people, leading teams and forming collaborative partnerships
- Experience in housing, venture investment, social outcomes contracts or lending
- Social investment background
- UK social sector employment or voluntary experience
- Strong investment experience
- Deal execution skills including comfort negotiating legal documents
- Proven project management skills
- Experience of operating at, working alongside and presenting recommendations to either an executive or board within organisations
- Experience of activities across the public, private and social sectors
Skills, abilities and attributes
- Structured thinker – able to deal with complexity and uncertainty
- Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
- Solves problems with multiple stakeholders in an open and empathetic way
- Collegial team player – Flexible and willing to work with and contribute to a team
- Self-starter – able to work under own initiative and source new opportunities
- Relationship management – excellent interpersonal skills and able to build relationships at all levels
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Hunger for continued learning and development, including developing others
Location: We are a UK-based business with an office in the Chancery Lane area of London, accessible to a number of public transport links. Our current approach allows colleagues to spend 40% – 60% of their working hours in the office, and the remainder from home. We hope that this working pattern encourages Big Society Capital employees to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal goals, as we continue to adapt to the changing needs of our diverse workforce.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: Big Society Capital is committed to being a diverse organisation that is truly representative of the communities we serve. We are an equal opportunities employer with an inclusive environment where all employees can contribute to their fullest potential. We want every colleague to be able to deliver their work with dignity, equality, comfort and independence.
Our office is fully accessible with step-free access and an open-plan set up. We are open to accommodation requests regarding assistive technologies, accessibility tools, flexible working or any other reasonable adjustments that will make working or visiting here more accessible for you.
If you have a disability and require any support to assist you through the recruitment process, please get in touch with Ruth Davidson (HR Manager) at rdavidson@bigsocietycapital. com.
Right to Work in the UK: for candidates who require a visa to work in the UK, we consider sponsoring applications.