Location: Flexible (accessible to London, Bristol or Sheffield offices)
Reporting to: Director of Policy and Communications
Contract: Permanent (35 hours or would consider 28)
Salary: £59,255 (£62,755 for London residents)
Date closes:17th June, 2021
The Head of Communications is responsible for mentoring and managing the Communications team, to ensure that the public profile of Power to Change aligns with our organisational strategy, reflects our values and conveys our commitment to strengthening the community business sector. They are the organisational lead for stakeholder management, ensuring that the Communications team maps, engages and tracks our relationships with key stakeholders.
The Head of Communications will oversee and quality assure all of Power to Change’s public communications, including marketing, brand identity, website and advertising, including working with consultants and delivery partners. It will also oversee the process for managing engagement for Power to Change’s target stakeholders, tracking our influence and power over time.
To be successful in this role the selected candidate will require significant experience of building strategic communications in response to the vision, mission and business plan of an organisation. Additionally, candidates should have a proven track record of successfully making the case for an issue or idea, involving a wide range of tools from public campaigning to stakeholder influence, digital strategies, press and PR.
Key responsibilities for 2021:
- Build Power to Change’s reputation and profile, in support of our new organisational strategy, using metrics to measure impact of our communications activities.
- Deliver against our Communications Strategy and Implementation Plan, including two high-impact campaigns. Utilise all comms channels to continue to make the case for community business.
- Be the organisational lead for stakeholder management, ensuring we map, engage, and track our relationships with key stakeholders.
- Lead the delivery of our New and Diverse Audiences workstream.
- Ensure that our cross-cutting themes of equity, climate change and digital are strongly featured across all of our communications.
- Line manage, mentor, support and develop the communications team.
- Oversee and quality assure all our public communications, including marketing, brand identity, website and advertising, including working with consultants and delivery partners.
- Oversee the delivery of integrated campaigns, using media, events, digital to achieve goals.
- Support the senior management team to craft compelling blogs, op-eds and oversee production of corporate documents e.g., annual report, impact report, award submissions, bids.
- Lead on commissioning and managing contracted agencies/partners as required.
- Oversee the process for managing engagement for Power to Change’s target stakeholders, tracking our influence and power over time.
- Act as brand and community business narrative guardians.
- Oversee crisis comms and reputational risks.
- Work with colleagues in the Policy and Communications team to ensure that our communications support our policy goals and our engagement in places.
- Work with the Finance & Operations team to ensure that the processes and systems to reach and manage our stakeholders are efficient and fit for purpose.
- Work with the Impact and Learning team to ensure that our communications and stakeholder engagements are impact led and highlight our learning.
- Work with the Strategy & Delivery team to market programmes effectively to target audiences and ensure consistency of brand and messaging through delivery partners.
- Build external relationships with private, public and third sector organisations and individuals from relevant sectors.
- Where appropriate represent Power to Change, attending events, monitoring developments, and providing visibility through social media content, blogposts, and analysis.
- Manage the budget for the communications team including planning, monitoring, and reporting, and authorising spend within agreed parameters, with the support of the Finance team.
- Be an active and engaged colleague, taking part in support, and learning activities.
- Ensure relevant data is maintained on Salesforce, (working with the Data team in Finance & Resources).
- Provide ad hoc assistance to other team members as required.
Skills and Experience
- Proven track record of successfully making the case for an issue or idea, involving a wide range of tools from public campaigning to stakeholder influence, digital strategies, press and PR.
- Significant expertise with a strong experience of building strategic communications in response to the vision, mission and business plan of an organisation.
- Strong organisational and project management skills with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Budget holding experience.
- Track record of innovation, challenging existing processes and ways of working with creative ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and influence successfully.
- Proven ability to influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- A successful track record of working collaboratively with external partners.
- Good understanding of and experience of working in the social enterprise, community business or think tank sectors.
- Proven ability and motivation to mentor and develop high performing teams.
- Demonstrable ability to produce published outputs to the highest written standards.