Location: Hybrid – Remote based with some mandatory travel to London (approx. 8 times per year)
Reporting to: Director of Finance
Contract: Permanent, Full time flexible hours
Salary: £60,000 - 65,000 per annum
Date closes:Tuesday, 28th February 2023
For over two decades, Social Investment Business has provided finance and support to charities and social enterprises. We empower these organisations to do what they do best – serve the communities they operate within.
Our values are: People First, Curious, Bold, Collaborative, Accountable
For further information on our values and our generous benefits please visit https://www.sibgroup.org.uk/about-us/work-with-us/
We have an opportunity for a talented Financial Controller to join our Finance Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation. Reporting to our Director of Finance you will be responsible for all our financial reporting, including monthly management accounts, annual statutory accounts and quarterly VAT returns. You will business partner all budget holders and also support with Grants and Investments reporting on a regular basis to their respective funders, working across the organisation to support the delivery of the group’s strategy. In addition, you will ensure our accounting systems, structures, processes and controls are robust and appropriate for both charity and commercial reporting purposes.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and pro-active, with good business partnering skills, and who can adapt to change in a demanding and busy environment. You will need a good working knowledge of Xero, be familiar with the Salesforce CRM and have understanding of accounting regulations, tax including VAT, treasury and investments, and experience of group charity accounts.
- To work alongside all SIB’s teams to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- To manage financial framework for all legal entities within the group, ensuring it is understood across the finance team and wider organization, and provide reports to the Directors Group/and or the Board or other external parties as appropriate.
- To understand the financial implications and reporting requirements for all contracts/sub-contracts/agreements in place within the group, and ensure compliance with appropriate laws and accounting practice (Companies Act, Charity SORP, Partnership Act etc) as well as compliance.
- To provide final annual Group accounts and supporting schedules within an agreed audit timetables, working closely with the auditors, external accounting team and tax advisors to deliver the group’s annual statutory accounts for Committee and Board approval.
- To oversee Treasury management for the group, including support for credit control, cash flow forecasting, investment/depositing facilities and automated secure payment run processes.
- To be responsible for finance procedures and policies related to group accounting and implementing these across the whole organisation with a particular emphasis on fraud prevention and effective controls/segregation of duties.
- To be responsible for Group’s cashflow forecasting and where required on individual funds.
- To manage the group’s tax affairs, including VAT and partial exemption.
- To provide financial modelling and data to support scenario planning and modelling for new and existing investment and grant programmes.
- To prepare financial modelling and financial analysis of new and existing funds, working with colleagues across the business.
- To business partner all other teams at SIB to ensure cross company collaboration on finance and reporting to ensure our financial information is accurate and up to date and resultant rolling annual forecasts is accurate and controlled.
- To manage, support and, where appropriate, provide cover for the finance team.
- To manage the annual budgeting process as part business partnering by extending forecasting processes over next three years.
- To attend committees and other meetings to represent Finance when appropriate.
- To maintain external stakeholder relationships with HMRC/Bank/Auditors/ Funders.
- To ensure contractual financial reporting and invoicing to partners, or external funding providers, is in place and monitored effectively, working closely across all other departments to ensure accuracy.
- To work within the organisation’s values, principles and processes to achieve operational excellence.
- To adopt our continuous improvement and learning ethos.
- To support and embed equality, diversity and inclusion into day-to-day behaviours and activities within your role as well as contributing more widely across SIB’s commitment to E, D & I.
- To support and contribute to the implementation and delivery of SIB’s strategy.
In agreement with manager to undertake other tasks and work on cross team projects that support the objectives of SIB as required.
Skills and Experience
- ACCA or ICAEW Qualified Accountant
- Good, recent, experience of working with Xero
- Strong experience and understanding of the charity sector and good experience of government funding, grant making and investment accounting.
- Strong experience of both management and statutory financial accounting including taking the lead with external auditors.
- Good tax and compliance experience.
- Good leadership and management skills, both external and internal.
- Good financial modelling experience
- Team player
- Influencing skills – motivating teams and individuals
- Ability to plan, prioritise and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinker with good problem-solving skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrable ability to present and report financial information
- Competent user with demonstrable experience of cloud based/electronic financial process including ensuring effective control mechanisms
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure
- Innovative – willing to try new ideas and test new ways of doing things
- Commitment to equalities and customer care