Reporting to: Director of Finance
Contract: Permanent, full time
Date closes:Thursday, 29th April
We have an excellent opportunity for a talented Financial Controller to join our Finance Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation.
Reporting to our Director of Finance you will be responsible for all our financial reporting, including monthly management accounts and quarterly VAT returns. You will also support our Grants and Investment teams with regular reporting to their funders, and work across the organisation to support the delivery of the group’s strategy. In addition, you will ensure our accounting structures, processes and controls are robust and appropriate for both charity and commercial reporting.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and pro-active, with good relationship management skills, and who can adapt to change in a demanding and busy environment. You will need a good working knowledge of Xero, be familiar with the Salesforce CRM and ideally an understanding of investments, and experience of charity accounts.
Social Investment Business provide finance to create fairer communities and improve people’s lives. We do this by providing the money and support they need directly, partnering to support them effectively and, using our knowledge to inform our own work and influence others.
It is a hugely exciting time to join the organisation: we are growing and investing in our expert team, and building on the successes of the last few years. We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is as passionate as we are about strengthening organisations, investing in communities, and improving people’s lives across the UK.
- To work alongside all SIB’s teams to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- To manage financial framework for all legal entities within the group, ensuring it is understood across the finance team and wider organisation, and provide reports to the Directors Group/and or the Board or other external parties as appropriate.
- To understand the financial implications and reporting requirements for all contracts/sub-contracts/agreements in place within the group, and ensure compliance with appropriate laws and accounting practice (Companies Act, Charity SORP, Partnership Act etc)
- To draft annual Group accounts and supporting schedules within an agreed audit timetable, working closely with the Director of Finance, and linking to the group’s annual impact report.
- To oversee Treasury management for the group, including support for credit control, short-term cash flow forecasting and automated secure payment run processes.
- To be responsible for finance procedures and policies related to group accounting and implementing these across the whole organisation with a particular emphasis on fraud prevention and effective controls/segregation of duties.
- To be responsible for cashflow forecasting of Grant funds.
- To manage the group’s tax affairs, including VAT and partial exemption.
- To provide financial data to support scenario planning and modelling for new and existing investment and grant programmes.
- To prepare financial modelling and financial analysis of new and existing loan and investment funds, working with colleagues in the Investments and Influence teams.
- To business partner all other teams at SIB to ensure cross company collaboration on finance and reporting to ensure our financial information is accurate and up to date.
- To manage, support and, where appropriate, provide cover for the finance team.
- To support the annual budgeting process.
- To attend committees and other meetings to represent Finance when appropriate.
- To maintain external stakeholder relationships with HMRC/Bank/Auditors.
- To ensure contractual financial reporting and invoicing to partners, or external funding providers, is in place and monitored effectively, working closely with the Management Accountant, Grants and Loans teams to ensure accuracy
- To contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system, ensuring the finance manual is kept up to date.
- To contribute to the knowledge management, equality, diversity and inclusion and learning priorities in the group’s strategy and support its implementation and effectiveness of SIB strategy.
- In agreement with line manager, to undertake other tasks that support the group’s objectives as required.
- To work within the organisation’s processes and procedures required to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system.
Skills and Experience
- ACCA or ICAEW Qualified Accountant
- Good, recent, experience of working with Xero
- Strong experience and understanding of the charity sector and good experience of government funding, grant making and investment accounting.
- Good tax and compliance experience.
- Good leadership and management skills, both external and internal
- Good financial modelling experience
- Team player
- Influencing skills – motivating teams and individuals
- Ability to plan, prioritise and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinker with good problem-solving skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrable ability to present and report financial information.
- Competent user with demonstrable experience of cloud based/electronic financial process including ensuring effective control mechanisms
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure
- Innovative – willing to try new ideas and test new ways of doing things
- Commitment to equalities and customer care