Location: London, Sheffield or Bristol, or from home, with some travel to all offices
Reporting to: Governance and Strategy Manager
Contract: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £32,252 (£35,725 if resident in Greater London)
Date closes:9th May 2022, 5pm
Power to Change is an independent charitable trust that supports community businesses in England, endowed by the National Lottery Community Fund (previously the Big Lottery Fund).
Power to Change backs people to grow community businesses that directly benefit their local area. In just six years, we’ve helped double the number of community businesses in England to over 11,000 through innovative funding, support programmes and research.
No one understands a community better than the people that live there. Run by local people, trading for the benefit of local people, community businesses provide the services that neighbourhoods need to make them thrive.
Our vision and mission
Our overall vision is ‘powerful communities, better places,’ which we will deliver by pursuing our mission to ‘strengthen the community business sector’. Our 2021-25 strategy sets out how we will go about pursuing this vision and mission.
To harness opportunities Growing and diversifying the community business movement is critical to its survival. We want to create the conditions and work with community businesses themselves to ensure a more diverse base of people can be involved in community business in different ways, from being board members and employees to volunteers, shareholders and customers. In particular, we want to ensure that we lower barriers for disadvantaged communities to develop community business ideas so that together we can build a more equitable movement.
To increase engagement The world is changing, and community business can be at the heart of local solutions. We need to continue to build the case for the positive economic, social and environmental impacts of community business, and act as a catalyst to unlock the resources of government, the wider public sector, other funders and the private sector to grow the community business movement and deepen its impact. We will build the exemplars and evidence that can give others confidence to invest in community business.
To build capacity Community business leaders need the skills, knowledge and capabilities to thrive for the long term and build up their power. We will build their capacity to do so now and in the future. We also want to identify new market opportunities and routes to market such as digital that can support income generation and diversification for community businesses, building resilience over time.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Executive Assistant to join our small People and Governance Team. You will provide full secretarial support to the CEO and Leadership Team (comprising of 5 Directors) and will oversee all diary management and travel coordination on their behalf. Acting as a first point of contact for our Board members, you will manage all Board and Committee meetings including oversight and dissemination of Board and Committee papers. As a member of the People and Governance Team, you will also manage the internal Power to Change calendar as well as our general inquiries and complaints inboxes.
You will be working closely with other like-minded passionate professionals in our organisation to build the profile of a movement that will change the face of the country.
The Executive Assistant role fully supports the Leadership Team at Power to Change and works with the Governance and Strategy Manager to ensure the effective functioning of the Board, Board Committees and the Leadership Team.
Leadership Team Support
- Provide full secretarial support to the CEO and all members of the Leadership Team (comprising of 5 Directors) including diary management (organising internal and external meetings), coordinating travel arrangements (booking travel and accommodations, registering for conferences), submitting expenses, and providing ad-hoc assistance when required.
- Oversee the organisation of all Leadership Team and Assurance meetings.
- Coordinate all in-person Leadership Team strategy meetings.
- Attend Leadership Team meetings as required, take minutes and follow up actions.
- Oversee the internal reporting process so that all internal assurance items (including budget, OKRs, KPIs, etc.) are comprehensively and effectively presented to the Leadership Team and the Board.
- Work with the Data team to ensure that all key stakeholders are recorded and kept up to date on SalesForce.
- Liaise with other staff members on behalf of the Leadership Team.
- Act as a first point of contact for all Board members and the Protector.
- Oversee the organisation of all Board and Committee meetings.
- Oversee the timely production and dissemination of Board and Committee papers.
- Take Board and Board Committee minutes in the absence of the Governance and Strategy Manager.
- Manage the internal Power to Change calendar.
- Manage the incoming general queries and complaints inboxes.
- Assist in the logistics of in-person All Staff Meetings and other internal events.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience working as an Executive Assistant.
- Exceptional organisational and diary management skills.
- Excellent prioritisation, time management and ability to work on multiple projects effectively.
- Experience in coordinating and formatting documents for submission to Executive and Board level.
- Confident and competent in using IT systems, particularly databases, and Microsoft Office, especially Teams, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; and Zoom.
- Good levels of electronic file management experience.
- Good levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficient at building and maintaining good working relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to write to a high standard and to communicate with a wide variety of stakeholders of all levels of seniority.
- Willing to work flexibly and fluidly.
- Analytical in approach, able to quickly gain an understanding of complex work with confidence to ask for help.