Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Contract: Permanent, full time
Date closes:Thursday, 29th April
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Director of Finance to join our Leadership Team as part of the Social Investment Business organisation.
We are looking for an outstanding candidate for this critical role supporting the delivery of SIB’s new strategy and driving operational excellence. This will enable SIB to achieve its goals and thereby deliver maximum impact for the organisations we support and greatly benefit the sector.
Social Investment Business provide finance to create fairer communities and improve people’s lives. We do this by providing the money and support they need directly, partnering to support them effectively and, using our knowledge to inform our own work and influence others.
It is a hugely exciting time to join the organisation: we are growing and investing in our expert team, and building on the successes of the last few years. We believe this is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is as passionate as we are about strengthening organisations, investing in communities, and improving people’s lives across the UK.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate who:
- Can lead the Finance function, ensuring we remain sustainable and fit for purpose.
- Is an experienced finance and operations professional, adept and enthused by both strategic decision making and day-to-day operational excellence.
- Is a team player with a talent for effectively managing competing priorities and functions, and achieving high performance.
- Is motivated by our mission, and keen to use their skills and experience as part of the organisation’s leadership team.
- To lead the Finance team (which includes, Governance and Regulatory Compliance) ensuring all financial processes, systems and controls are operating excellently.
- To work with the Chief Executive and senior team, providing relevant information and input to develop, implement and evaluate our operational and financial strategies to achieve our short and long-term objectives.
- To be responsible for financial operations, ensuring high quality accounting, compliance and communication of the information to the Chief Executive and the board in order to run the organisation effectively and responsibly. This includes working closely with the Audit & Finance sub-committee.
- To be responsible for the Group strategic planning and financial reporting processes, including annual budgeting and forward projections, monthly management reporting, quarterly forecasting and the production of annual statutory accounts.
- To prepare financial modelling and financial analysis of new and existing loan and investment funds, working with colleagues in the Investments and Influence teams.
- Management of external annual audit process for SIB Foundation, SIB Ltd and other subsidiary companies.
- To oversee the maintenance of up-to-date, documented financial procedures and internal controls.
- To oversee draw down requests under grant and service agreements and forecasting of interest and capital receipts generated from the portfolio.
- Working closely with the Director of Grants and Director of Investments on processes, ensuring close integration and operational excellence as well as in line with our systems strategy working to better integrate finance with other operational systems.
- Hold management accountable to budgets and financial targets & play a key role within the senior leadership team on refining and representing key financial choices in line with business strategy.
- Oversee payment processing, treasury management and relationships with relevant banks.
- To undertake the role of Company Secretary, ensuring effective management of the secretarial and compliance operations of the organisation.
- To oversee the governance framework and regulatory compliance requirements for the Group including compliance with Charity Commission and Companies House reporting requirements.
- To oversee and inform governance in relation to the organisation’s group structure and the inter-relationships between different legal entities.
- To work with board and team colleagues to more effectively link up and embed governance into the core of the organisation’s work.
- To work in collaboration with Directors Group and across all teams/functions to ensure a joined up approach to operations, including budgeting and financial management.
- To work closely with the Director of Investments to manage external investors in SIBs funds and to deliver the financial reporting and forecasts that they require.
Regulatory Compliance, Audit & Risk
- To oversee the audit & regulatory compliance of our processes and procedures, including ISO 2015 accreditation, and to contribute to the quality management system such that it effectively supports strong governance and high quality operations at SIB.
- Build and manage relationships with peers at key partner organisations, including Access and Power to Change.
- Line management of Financial Controller, Head of Audit, Risk and Compliance, Governance and Finance Officer.
- To contribute to the knowledge management, equality, diversity and inclusion and learning priorities in the group’s strategy and support its implementation and effectiveness of SIB strategy.
- To work within the organisation’s processes and procedures required to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality management system.
- In agreement with the Chief Executive, to undertake other tasks that support Social Investment Business’ objectives as required.
Skills and Experience
- ACCA or ICAEW Qualified Accountant
- Significant experience of financial modelling and providing strategic financial advice
- Ability to communicate complex financial and investment information clearly
- Successful track record of managing finance functions, translating strategic plans and decisions into operational practice
- Strong experience and understanding of the charity sector and good experience of government funding, grant making and investment accounting.
- Good tax and compliance experience.
- Excellent team management skills, and experience of developing teams
- Ability to oversee compliance and quality processes
- Experience of working with boards, committees and governance
- A demonstrable understanding of the importance of meeting governance, compliance and charity requirements
- Team player
- Ability to plan, prioritise and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinker with good problem-solving skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills with demonstrable ability to present and report financial information.
- Resilience and ability to work under pressure
- Innovative – willing to try new ideas and test new ways of doing things
- Commitment to equalities and customer care
- Good, recent, experience of working with Xero