Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Contract: Permanent, full time (open to flexible working)
Salary: £74,391 (£77,891 for London residents)
Date closes:4th June, 2021
The Director of Finance & Operations is accountable for Finance, procurement, IT, office management, risk management and general operations. It leads on all financial aspects of the Charity including budgets and controls, internal financial procedures and processes, management and statutory accounting and audit.
- Member of Leadership Team which collectively determines the strategic and operational direction of the organisation.
- Overall accountability for finance, IT and systems, procurement operations, risk management, and business processes.
- Oversee, mentor, support and develop the Finance and Operations team.
- Reporting to the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board.
- Responsible for our financial operations, ensuring high quality accounting, investment of funds, compliance and strong internal control processes. Ensure that the process for managing day to day financial transactions is smooth and efficient.
- Build a culture that ensures ongoing learning and improvement.
- Support the work of the Protector, Power to Change Board and all relevant sub Committees by providing them with accurate, timely financial information and analysis.
- Responsible for our financial operations, ensuring high quality accounting, investment of funds, compliance and strong internal control processes.
- Ensure that the process for managing day to day financial transactions is smooth and efficient.
- Accountable for financial planning including preparation of the annual budget.
- Oversee the production of monthly management accounts, Annual Report and statutory accounts and risk register on a timely basis.
- Oversee internal and external audits and ensure compliance with Companies House, the Charity Commission and HMRC.
- Oversee the contractual and legal requirements with significant delivery partners including appropriate contract performance management, adhering to regulatory and legal (charity) requirements and effective budgetary management control.
- Oversee the management of strategic and day to day IT, including the effective and reliable provision of IT hardware, systems and services.
- Oversee contract and property management within the organisation.
Skills and Experience
Technical skills and experience:
- Qualified Accountant with experience of strategic financial planning.
- Experience of managing IT services and the ability to communicate with technical staff.
- Knowledge of procurement and experience of managing outsourced providers to ensure consistently high-quality performance.
- Experience of conducting due diligence on business plans, annual accounts and cash flow projections of applicant organisations.
- Experience of managing and balancing the cash flow requirements whilst optimising returns.
- Understanding of social investment.
- Experience of charity accounting, restricted fund accounting, charity SORP, and producing annual report and accounts.
Strategic skills and experience:
- Significant experience of working at a senior leadership level and working with Boards.
- Proven ability and motivation to mentor and develop high performing teams.
- A successful track record of working collaboratively with external partners.
- Have access to a wide external network with ability to identify new trends/opportunities.
- Good understanding of and experience of working in the social enterprise and/or community business sectors.
- Ability to present information in a range of formats to meet the requirements of different stakeholders.
- Strong organisational and project management skills with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Track record of innovation, challenging existing processes and ways of working with creative ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and influence successfully.